Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Okonomyaki


Okonomyaki Recipe on the Squeeze Bottle 


Batter on the griddle




On our most recent trip to Japan I had Okonomiyaki. I have had this dish many times in Los Angeles and love it. What I had in Hiroshima was unbelievably good. I never suspected that I could actually make it at home. I decided to Google and YouTube it and I was surprised to see all kinds of recipes and people making it. What most surprised me was the secret sauce that was the key is not made by the chef but is bought at an Japanese Market. It comes in a squeeze bottle and is cleverly named: Okonomiyaki Sauce. In all of the times I have been to Japanese Markets I had never spotted it! In addition, the recipe is written on the squeeze bottle and it is in English!

You can read about my encounter with Okinomiyaki on our travel blog of: Japan 2015. Click here to read the blog entry. You can also compare what my Okinomiyaki looks like compared to the original. The one in Miyojima had the fresh oysters from the Hiroshima Bay. Hiroshima is famous for this dish. I used Shrimp from Gelson’s. Not quite the same. But it tasted and looked like the real thing! I did it!


No comments: