Thursday, February 16, 2023

Fresh Dungeness Crab

 



We used to live in San Francisco and nothing says San Francisco more than Dungeness Crabs. We ordered them already Steamed from Four Star Seafood. They come preserved in a chilled box. All you need to do is remove the shell, clean out the bad parts wash throughly in cold water, crack and serve with melted butter and hot bread. A wonderful meal.

We started with a Caesar Salad. I love Croutons! We always used to buy them, but no more. I am the official Crouton maker the house and Cathy agrees mine are better than any store bought one. The trick is to start with good Bread. We usually buy a Baguette. I then cut it to about 4 or 5 sections. I then take each section stand it on end and cut it half down the middle. Then I cut the bread in ¼ to 3/4 inch sections. Those sections then can easily be then cut into Crouton size chunks. They don't have to be even sized. I spread them on a cookie sheet and let them get stale for about 24 hours. When I am ready to toast them I turn the oven to 350. When the oven is hot on top of the stove I melt 2 tablespoons Butter with 2 tablespoons Olive Oil and one crushed Garlic Clove. I heat the mixture till it starts to bubble, not very long. Place the stale Croutons in a bowl. Remove the garlic and pour the hot liquid over the Croutons. Generously add Salt and Pepper to taste. Mix the Croutons well so that all are seasoned. Return the Croutons to the baking sheet and place in the oven for approximately 8 minutes until they are golden in color. Let cool and place in a plastic bag. They will be good for a couple of weeks.

No comments: